Did you know that there are certain types of food that you should avoid while breastfeeding?
- Processed Food, including cakes and sweets, which are high in fat. The preservatives and additives in processed food could also interrupt the normal role of enzymes and intervene with the healthy fats or lipids that are essential to your child’s development.
- Gas-producing vegetables, such as cabbages and cauliflowers, which can produce digestive issues in nursing babies.
- Preserved food, which could cause diarrhea. As much as possible, try to give babies fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Hot food. Hot food is different from spicy food, in that spicy food are those dishes that are cooked with some herbs (like basil, ginger, and peppers) as part of their ingredients. These may actually help boost the mom’s breast milk supply. But some mothers may mistakenly think “spicy food” equals “hot food” which can upset your baby’s stomach because it could cause acidity.
- Food and drinks with caffeine like coffee, tea, chocolate, etc. as these could result in restlessness and difficulty in sleeping.
- Alcoholic drinks, which could cause the damage to babies’ brain development.
Remember, mom, that whatever you consume during pregnancy can help in your baby’s development. So you have to be a bit more careful with what you eat.