These delicious peanut butter and banana muffins are packed with calcium, which builds healthy teeth, helps muscles and nerves to function, and allows blood to clot normally. Plus, the banana slices contain fiber, which can boost your digestive health and alleviate constipation – a common pregnancy symptom.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 16 minutes
Total time: 31 minutes
For the muffin topping
For the muffins
1. Heat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
2. To make the crumbly muffin topping, thoroughly combine all the ingredients for the topping in a bowl. Mix them with a spoon until wet crumbs form. Set aside.
3. To make the muffins, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt) in another bowl and mix until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the pureed banana, apple sauce, peanut butter, brown sugar and egg until blended. Then, whisk in the milk and vanilla extract.
5. Spoon the muffin mixture of dry ingredients into the blended mixture. Stir this combined mixture until it is just blended.
6. Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin pan with oil. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, dividing it evenly. Place the muffin topping evenly over each cup of batter.
7. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes in the pre-heated oven until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
8. Remove the muffins from the pan and serve them warm.