What’s happening in week 12 of your pregnancy?
• Your baby continues to grow. He is now about 2.5 inches long (6.3 centimeters) and weighs more than half an ounce (over 14 grams).
• Your little one’s vocal cords are forming. Prepare to hear a big cry at birth!
• Most of your baby’s internal systems are fully formed and working. For example, his kidneys can process amniotic fluid and pass it as urine, and muscles in his digestive system are able to contract.
How is your baby’s brain developing?
• Your baby’s brain is developing nerve fibers that are crucial for coordinating motor, sensory and cognitive functions between the right and left sides of the brain.
• Fuel your baby’s effort in developing this area of the brain by eating more “brain foods” that contain the omega-3 fat, DHA, during your pregnancy.
What pregnancy symptoms might you experience this week?
These symptoms may make social situations embarrassing, but it’s common for moms-to-be to experience more burping, bloating and gas. These tips will help to reduce the digestive discomfort and allow you to enjoy your pregnancy further:
• Eat small meals throughout the day, rather than three big meals to prevent bloating. Refrain from eating too much, too quickly, as you’ll end up swallowing air.
• Avoid gas-inducing food like onions, beans, fried food and carbonated drinks.
• Keep exercising. Gentle physical activity can aid digestion.
Mom’s Tip of the Week
Light exercises such as, keeping your motions slow will protect your joints as they may be loosening up at this pregnancy stage. This is due to your body’s production of a hormone called relaxin, which will help the cervix to widen during labour. Remember to consult your doctor before doing any exercises during your pregnancy.