What's happening in week 5 of your pregnancy?
• Your baby is now about the size of a pen tip. At this pregnancy stage, your baby is referred to as an embryo.
• The placenta starts to provide key nutrients to your baby. Until the fourth or fifth week, your baby receives most of his nourishment from the uterine wall.
How is your baby's brain developing?
• Your baby is now in the form of an embryo, which is made up of germ layers. The outer layer will develop into your baby's brain, spinal cord, nerves and backbone.
• You can nurture your baby's brain growth early in your pregnancy by consuming 200 milligrams of the nutrient, DHA, daily.
What pregnancy symptoms might you experience this week?mo
As your body adapts to provide for the new life growing inside you, you may begin to experience symptoms such as fatigue and morning sickness. These are ways to manage these changes and boost your pregnancy health:
• Exercise regularly. Gentle exercises such as walking or swimming can improve your sleep quality and help you feel more well-rested.
• Eat healthy meals that contain essential nutrients. In particular, carbohydrates and protein-rich foods can fuel your energy levels, and bland-tasting carbohydrates may also decrease nausea.
Mom's Tip of the Week
To increase your intake of key nutrients, you can also choose to take a multivitamin, and which should contain nutrients such as folic acid and calcium. Consult your doctor about any medication or multivitamins you're currently taking to ensure that it's safe and beneficial to your baby.