What's happening in week 8 of your pregnancy?
• Your baby makes his first movements. He'll start flexing his little limbs as the bones in his body strengthen.
• Your baby's heart is beating an amazing 150 times per minute – twice as fast as yours.
• Your baby's body continues to develop. His eyes, ears, lips and nose are becoming obvious. His lungs, fingers and toes are forming, too.
Week 8: How is your baby's brain developing?
• The cerebral cortex of your baby's brain is starting to form. This brain area is responsible for advanced brain functions such as processing information.
• Prepare your baby for further cognitive growth by nourishing him with DHA, an omega-3 fat, during your pregnancy and after.
What pregnancy symptoms might you experience this week?
Back pain, especially in the lower region of your back, is a common symptom of pregnancy at this pregnancy stage, due to hormonal changes and the strain of your heavier baby bump. Manage the pain and enjoy your pregnancy further with these tips:
• Reduce the stress on your back. Place a small pillow behind your lower back when you're seated. When sleeping, lie on your side with a pillow between your knees.
• Exercise. Stretches for your lower back may help to strengthen those muscles, but talk to your doctor about appropriate prenatal exercises.
Mom's Tip of the Week
While back pain can be alleviated with lifestyle changes, do contact your doctor immediately if the pain is severe or persists for more than two weeks.