What’s happening in week 31 of your pregnancy?
• Your baby is developing a sleep cycle. Your baby will be getting more sleep, as he’s been working very hard to develop his brain and needs to rest.
• The systems in his body are getting ready, such as his digestive system. The development of his central nervous system also allows your baby to regulate his body temperature.
• Your little one weighs more than three pounds (1.3 kilograms) and measures about 18 inches (45 centimeters) from head t0 toe.
How is your baby’s brain developing?
• Your baby is making trillions of brain connections.This helps him process information and practice his sensory skills, such as following light outside the womb with his eyes.
• Give your little achiever a push by nourishing him with food that contains DHA, an omega-3 fat aimed at powering his brain development.
What pregnancy symptom might you experience this week?
At this pregnancy stage, you may often feel breathless as your growing uterus pushes your lungs upwards. Take these steps to get some relief from this shortness of breath and to make the rest of your pregnancy comfortable:
• Monitor your diet. Breathlessness can be a sign of anemia, or iron deficiency. Add some iron-rich food such as spinach and lentils to your meals.
• Exercise regularly. You’re less likely to be breathless if you’re keeping fit and having a healthy weight gain. Remember to consult your doctor before doing any exercises during your pregnancy.
Mom’s tip of the week
Weighing yourself daily or weekly during your pregnancy is a great habit to develop. You should be gaining one to two pounds (450 grams to one kilogram) each week during your third trimester.