What’s happening in week 34 of your pregnancy?
• Your baby’s fingernails are growing so much that they have almost reached the tip of his fingers. Support your baby’s ongoing bodybuilding with protein – 66 grams daily at this stage of your pregnancy.
• Your baby weighs about five pounds (2.26 kilograms). He measures about 20 inches (50.8 centimeters) from head to toe.
• His skin is being protected. The fuzzy hair or lanugo that was covering your baby is almost all gone by now but the vernix coating (a waxy substance that protects the skin) is getting thicker to protect your baby from any chafing in the womb.
How is your baby’s brain developing?
• Your baby’s brain continues to make new and complex connections. Since your little one is working so hard, he’s also spending a lot of time snoozing.
• Nourish your baby with omega-3 fat, DHA through the food you eat, which will help power his brain growth.
What pregnancy symptom might you experience this week?
Your ankles, feet and hands may start swelling in this last trimester. Fluid retention helps your body to expand in sync with your baby’s growth. Use these tips to manage swelling for a comfortable pregnancy:
• Eat potassium-rich foods like bananas and dark leafy greens.
• Talk to your doctor if there is sudden swelling in your face, hands and around your eyes. These could be signs of something more serious.
• Get off your feet. Do no not stand for long periods of time. Try to elevate your feet whenever you can.
Mom’s Tip of the Week
Switching your body position can also coax your growing baby out of any awkward poses that are giving you discomfort. A gentle massage over the aching area also helps.