What’s happening in week 36 of your pregnancy?
• Your baby is practicing his sucking skills as his facial muscles develop. This will help him eat in the future, but you can give your baby a healthy start in life by eating food rich in essential nutrients now.
• His digestive system is still developing. You’re still giving him the nutrients he needs via the umbilical cord at this pregnancy stage.
• Your baby weighs six pounds (2.7 kilograms) currently and measures about 20 inches (50 centimeters) from head to toe.
How is your baby’s brain developing?
• Your baby’s brain is well developed but the bones around it are still soft to allow for further brain growth.
• Help to fuel his brain development by consuming 200 milligrams of DHA daily during this last month of pregnancy.
What pregnancy symptom might you experience this week?
You may notice that you are secreting globs of mucus. Your body is expelling the mucus plug, which covers your uterus opening to protect your baby from bacteria outside. Here’s what you can do to stimulate a healthy pregnancy:
• Take note of the discharge. If it is bright red, call your doctor immediately as it may be a sign of preterm labor.
• Share this update with your doctor. The removal of the mucus plug is your body’s way of readying itself to deliver your baby.
Mom’s Tip of the Week
Your baby is preparing for his entry into the world, and has now positioned himself to move headfirst into your pelvic area. In cases where your baby’s head isn’t down, he may be considered breeched. Discuss with your doctor the different options for labor and delivery.